Sri Govindarajaswamy Temple is an ancient Hindhu-vaishnavite temple situated at the heart of the Tirupati city in Chittoor District of Andhra Pradesh state in India. The temple was built during 12 century and was consecrated in the year 1130 AD by Saint Ramanujacharya.The temple is one of the earliest structures in Tirupati and also one of the biggest temple complex in Chittoor district. The Tirupati(down hill) city is built around this temple. The temple at current is being administered by Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanams.Sri Govindarajaswamy Temple was consecrated in the year 1130 AD by saint Ramanujacharya. However, there are structures inside the temple complex which belong to 9th and 10th centuries. Before consecrating Govindarajaswamy as presiding deity, Sri Parthasarathy Swamy was the presiding deity of the temple. Kotturu, a village at the foot of Tirumala hills was shifted to the vicinity of Sri Govindarajaswamy Temple which was later emerged into city of Tirupati.
Sri Govindaraja Swamy is the elder brother of Sri Venkateswara Swamy. He is believed to be have organised the most glorious wedding of the universe between Sri Tirupati Venkateswara Swamy and Goddess Sri Padmavathi Ammavari. It is said that he attained immense amount of wealth from King Kubera for the wedding, which rightfully utilized in conducting the divine wedding which was attended by the Gods, public and Kings from everywhere. According to some beliefs, Sri Govindaraja Swamy is blessed with a left hand lines which indicates that he would be returning fourfold of the wealth he had obtained from King Kubera. This is the reason why devotes seek Lord Govindaraja Swamy to help them increase their wealth and to guide them in better management of their wealth.
Legend / Local stories
How to Reach:
temple is only half a km away from Tirupati Railway station and at a distance of 1.5 km from Tirupati RTC Bus stand.