Kali Bari, New Delhi
|Major festivals||Durga Poja|
Legend / Local stories
The Durga puja celebrated at the Kalibari, is one of the oldest Durga Pujas in the city. It first started in 1925. The original temple of Kali Bari was situated on Baird Road (today’s Bangla Sahib Road), where the local Bengali community gathered for the annual Durga Puja. After the present temple came up after 1931, it shifted here. Till today, it continues to be the nodal point for the hundreds of puja committees in Delhi, and is widely revered among Delhi Bengalis. Only older pujas in Delhi are at Kashmere Gate, organized by Delhi Durga Puja Samiti, which started in 1910, and the Timarpur puja organised by the Timarpur and Civil Lines puja samiti, estd. 1914 .
The puja celebration at Kali Bari continued to follow the traditional style, with traditional ekchalar thakur (single frame for idols) and sholar kaaj. Even puja rituals have remained unchanged since 1936 and traditional competitions in Rabindra sangeet and recitation are still organised. Mr Swapan Kumar Chakraborty is the current President of Delhi Kalibari. Artisans are brought in from Kolkata to build the puja pandal.
How to Reach:
The temple is located on the Mandir Marg, situated west of Connaught Place in New Delhi. The temple is easily accessible from the city by local buses, taxis and auto-rickshaws. Nearest Delhi Metro station is R.K.Ashram Marg, located about 2 km away.